John Wright 88-514 New York Hinge New Construction Installation Instruction
John Wright 88-514 New York Hinge New Construction is a traditional shutter hinges that combine strength and colonial style. John Wright combines modern high-quality finishes with the strength and traditional look and feel of cast iron. New York style hinges are similar in function to strap hinges but work as a right- and left-handed pair. They combine authentic period-accurate colonial style with strength and functionality. New construction hinges feature minimal offset so that the closed shutter is further from the building. This can often allow for shutters and storm windows to be used together. See drawing below.
- These hinges are sold in sets of four and include screws for mounting.
- Materials used in this hinges are cast iron pintle base plate and hinge, 3/16" thick, with steel screws.
- Hinge offset is minimal at 3/8 inches, pintle offset is 2-1/4 inches, and throw is 2-5/8 inches.
- Finishing is done with two coats of black-matte TGIC powder coating. Screws are black-zinc plated.
- There is one year replacement warranty for this type of hinge.
- For an overview and introduction to shutter hinges and offset concepts, please see John Wright's publication entitled "Shutter Hardware Installation Details." For the purposes of these instructions, it is assumed that you selected hinges with an acceptable offset.
- At first temporarily place the shutter in the window using blocks, wedges, or shims or have a helper hold it in place. Check to make sure the pintle base plate can be mounted to flat piece of wood trim or similar surface of adequate strength. Take the shutter down and lay it on a flat surface with the outside facing up.
- Using one right-hand and one left-hand hinge position the hinges on the top and bottom outermost corners of the shutter. Hinges are usually located at or within a few inches of the top and bottom. Some flexibility of location is fine as long as you are consistent.
- Now mark the location of the hinge screw holes. Drill 1/16" pilot holes at the locations you marked and install the screws.
- Then Mount the pintle base plates so that they precisely line up with the hinges. You can either measure the locations of the hinges and transfer those measurements to the window frame or temporarily tape the pintle base into the hinge and then position the shutter and mark the locations of the screw holes.
- Drill 1/16" pilot holes at the locations you marked and install the screws. When both pintle bases are installed, lift the shutter into place so that both hinges engage the pintles and slide it down. This should be done with the shutter in the open or semi-open position and not closed. Finally test operation of the hinge and repeat the process for all remaining shutters.
The contents of New York Hinge with new construction are
- (2) right-hand hinges,
- (2) left-hand hinges,
- (4) pintle base plates
- (28) No. 6 by 1" long Phillips-head or
- (28) Slotted-head screws.